Kiko Martinez Archives
- No Se Pudo: The mostly unexceptional ‘César Chávez’ biopic
As the credits began to roll at the end of director Diego Luna’s much-anticipated film César Chávez during its North American premiere at the SXSW...
- 7 Must-See Films Screening at CineFestival (and 1 Must-Avoid)
Although it has done a fair amount of globetrotting in the past, don’t assume this year’s 36th annual CineFestival will include films from Latin or South America...
- Director Fede Álvarez on Resurrecting the 'Evil Dead'
'The challenge was to show the right amount of gore without turning it into something that was ridiculous.'
- Camp Eco.logic launched by new force of eco-activism
She's only been living in San Antonio for three months, but environmental advocate Rozina Kanchwala is quickly making herself known as a leader in...
- Breaking Bad's Steven Michael Quezada ("Agent Gomez") to host Mariachi Vargas Extravaganza
It might not be evident from his role as laid-back DEA agent Steven Gómez on the hit AMC drama Breaking Bad, but actor Steven Michael Quezada is a funny...
- Niki Aguirre inspires filmmaker with striking, foreboding photo
Photographer Niki Aguirre swears she had no premonition of Superstorm Sandy hitting the East Coast when she took a photo of her young niece standing in the...
- 'Pitch Perfect' soundtrack outshines the film
A mix between the cheerleading comedy Bring it On and the TV series Glee, Tony Award-nominated director Jason Moore’s debut film Pitch Perfect will cater mostly to...
- Glass house
Interpreting dreams with NPR host and co-writer of Sleepwalk with Me Ira Glass
- 'Ruby Sparks' fizzles behind Zoe Kazan's tweepulsive screenplay
Vanity Fair had the right idea late last year when it started recapping episodes of the comedy series New Girl by categorizing each of Zooey Deschanel’s...
- Desperate measures: Review of Lilia
I don’t necessarily believe San Antonio filmmaker Sam Lerma when he tells me he might’ve been impulsive enough to rob a bank
- Mirren lends ‘Debt’ gravitas and class
Mirren proves she is one tough homemade cookie as she continues to explore more vivacious supporting characters
- Critic’s Diss: Zookeeper
James is as harmless as a collection of chubby cherubs
- Critick’s Pick: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Trigun: Badlands Rumble (Gekijouban Trigun: Badlands Rumble)
If a computer-generated kung fu-fighting panda, a scrawny cowpoke chameleon, or a jelly-bean-pooping Easter bunny haven’t impressed you this year on the feature animation front, it might be time to try something on a completely different creative plane.
- The best thing about Transformers: Dark of the Moon is that it should be the last
In Dark of the Moon, Bay and returning screenwriter Ehren Kruger decide the July 1969 lunar landing by NASA was more than just a space mission to beat the Soviets to the moon
- Cars 2
- Pretentiousness the true leading role in The Art of Getting By
The Art of Getting By
Dir. and writ. Gavin Wiesen; feat. Freddie Highmore, Emma Roberts, Michael Angarano, Blair Underwood, Rita Wilson, Alicia Silverstone, Sam Robards, Elizabeth Reaser. (PG-13)
While one could argue about where the line betwee
- J.J. Abrams aims high with Super 8, and nearly arrives
Dir. and writ. J.J. Abrams; feat. Joel Courtney, Elle Fanning, Kyle Chandler, Noah Emmerich, Riley Griffiths, Ryan Lee, Zach Mills. (PG-13)
As much as filmmaker J.J. Abrams (Star Trek) would have liked for his nostalgic sci-fi Super 8 t
- Current 25: Once upon a time in San Antonio
- Johnny Depp and Co. keep on stretching a tired franchise
On the high seas again for the fourth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean action-adventure franchise, this one penned as On Stranger Tides, three-time Academy Award nominee Johnny Depp returns as the slurry and always-peculiar pirate Captain Jack Sp
Archived Stories by Kiko Martinez
View older articles written by Kiko Martinez.